Friday, April 16, 2010

Time...

Time heals all wounds, time flies, no time like the present......

We've all heard these cliches about time. For some reason, time has not been a friend to me lately. Not in the usual not enough time in the day, always running late way, but in a higher, unmeasurable way.

Olivia has been gone for 2 years and 5 months. In one way, that seems like an eternity. In others, it was only last night. Some days I'm happily caught up in our more pressing daily details, some days I can't help but dwell on what could have been. Most have moved on, many still remember, few understand the freshness of grief that is ever present in a parent's heart.

I think what brought this on was seeing a certain beautiful little girl this past Sunday at church. There is a couple who we see on occasion who had a sweet little girl born on November 20, 2007, at almost the precise time we were having Olivia's graveside service. The only reason I know is because both the mom and the baby were in great distress during delivery, and there was some discussion of it that day. They are a SWEET family, and I am SO glad the Lord graciously looked down and touched both of them that day and allowed them to be healthy. But, at the same time, that sweet little girl is the constant reminder of what could have been. We have seen them at different times over the last couple of years. The first time was only a few weeks after she was born and her sweet family tried to shield me from even seeing her, as to not upset us. (That's just HOW sweet this family is!!)

Most times when we see them, I just try not to think too much. But for some reason, this time, I couldn't help but stare. In my mind, Olivia is still a newborn. I think that's why I had such a hard time when EK was a baby. It seems like I have bonded so much more with her since she has gotten older and grown into her own precious (but feisty) self! Seeing this little girl bee-bopping around, going from person to person, snacking, playing with babies, etc. made me really stop and think about what Olivia would be like now. How would our lives be different? What would she look like? Abby and EK couldn't look any different - would she have looked like one of them? What would her personality be? Abby was always a pleaser - EK only pleases herself :)

This morning as we were leaving for school, EK was exceptionally happy and kissing all over Abby and making goofy faces. Abby looked at her and said, "EK you are the cutest little sister I ever had". She immediately looked up at me and almost apologizing said, "Well Mommy, you know I never got to see Olivia. I'm sure she's cute too. I bet she looks like that little girl that sat in front of us at church Sunday". I told her I was sure she did..........as I tried to hide the tears.

I've cried tears today that I didn't know I needed to cry, but all the same our life is as the Father intended it. In that I will place my trust.

Guess what - time doesn't heal all wounds, but thankfully we have a gracious savior who is there to cushion us from the fall and hold us until it doesn't hurt as bad. Time does fly, but the BIG moments in your life will always seem like they were yesterday. There's no time like the present - now more than ever I want to cherish and remember every day, moment and time with my girls. The Lord has given us these blessings to cherish (even on the days where they scream and cry in the car seat for 2 hours)!

6 comments:

Drea said...

I think of you often in regards to Olivia....I know there will always be days when you play "what if" and every momma out there understands your pain- though we all haven't felt that same pain- we understand what if feels like to be a momma and therefore we hurt with you- being a momma just works that way. You are a strong person and I have seen your strength myself. I just wanted you to I love you dearly!!!!!

Nicole said...

I was already emotional today...so I had to let it all out when I read this. I don't think anyone expects you to not dwell and wonder the what ifs. I can't imagine what its like for you!

Love yall very much!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never experienced anything like you guys did, but I came close, somewhat. It's hard not to question the Lord, but I know that a mother's love is as great as it was when Mary beheld Jesus hanging on the cross! A mothers' love is unique and none like any other. But something I do know is that the Lord was there with you then and He has been with you every step of the way! And He won't let you down! And though at this point in your life where tears seem to fill the eyes, aching overwhelmingly takes over the feelings of the heart, "Look beyond the tears, there's JOY on the otherside, or you can call it Olivia"! We love you and Stew and the girls!!!

Sherrill said...

How precious to have such wonderful friends who care about your pain. :-) I always wanted to be your friend - to have things in common. This was not what I wanted to have in common. I looked at the little girl too and am SOOO thankful for her - and silently wondered what Olivia would be like. Through His grace the moments like that no longer make me bleed all over the floor, it's just a temporary stab of pain. And then when we went home to eat dinner, I wondered what it would have been like to have had Julie and Steven and their families to come for dinner. :-) And I grabbed me a little girl and hugged her. And remembered how beautifully God has blessed us. There would never be a rainbow if there hadn't been some rain. . .Love you, my miracle child.

Michael and Crystal said...

You know everyone has a story and if we just take time to listen we can learn. I was so deeply touched by your post and somehow I am not hurting as bad at this moment, just know that even when you have no clue, people like us are praying for you..No we have not forgot, and we do care.I cannot even imagine what pain comes along with the loss of a child but I am thankful you and I both know what joy comes with with having children..Heaven is sweeter knowing she is there!!!

Amy said...

Oh Stephanie, I just wish I could hug you! And sweet Abby's comments - what a precious little girl to care so much about your feelings like that. I understand your pain and while I wish we didn't share such a painful bond, I AM grateful we share the redemption God sent us through EK and LB :) I think Melissa and Olivia are probably friends, don't you :) I'm praying for you!
Amy