Sunday, October 18, 2009

Changes

There are winds of change blowing in the Thorson House! I am changing jobs - actually changing careers!! Don't worry if you are shocked - most everyone has been! My job as an Assistant Principal has been challenging and rewarding. I have been in this position for 5 years. For the last few months, I have felt the yearning for a change. Not just a change for me, but for my girls. The general public seems to think that educators have it easy - I mean who else gets off in the summer ? (Every educator reading this is saying, whatever!!!) I knew the Lord gave me this job, and I certainly wasn't going to leave it without Him!!

Things changed about 2 and a half weeks ago. A phone call started a very swift process that I never expected. Stewart and I have prayed and prayed, and to be honest, I tried to prove that this actually WASN'T God's will!! It became very obvious very quickly that this indeed was God's next step for my life.

This past Friday, I broke the news to my teachers that effective November 6, I was resigning. It was SO bittersweet. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is God's path for me right now, but I love those teachers and they have been my family through the darkest days of my life. It's hard to think about not seeing them everyday! The way my leave is working out, I actually will only be in the school one more day - this Friday. Wild how your world can turn around, isn't it??

What am I going to be doing??? I am going to work for ALFA Insurance. I actually worked there in college and my mother has been an agent in Scottsboro for many years. I start my training on November 3rd. The hitch - it's in MONTGOMERY!! FOR FIVE WEEKS!!! It's not quite as bad as it sounds. Most weeks are 4 day weeks, and I think I've got a pretty good system worked out to only be away from home for 3 nights a week. Calling all grandparents - Stewart is going to need you!!!! After training, this position will help me have much more flexibility with my schedule which I know will be much appreciated by my family!

More on my new position soon :)

Winds of change are blowing - trusting that the Lord will prosper us in this new endeavor!

Here is a link to our school blog. My principal posted a sweet good-bye for the parents.

10 comments:

A Wife and a Teacher said...

What a sweet message from your principal!

I taught at Madison Cross Roads for 4 years before we moved to TN! What a small world the blogging world is! I grew up in Gurley (I commeted on your story about th Kelly's- Dustin and I went to high school together).

I agree, educators work hard!!! A lot harder than most people think.

Congratulations on your new job and good luck!

Unknown said...

I worked a gurley Elem for several and i got to know my babies as i call them. Kensley was a little shy but would still give me a hug. I had to retire because of medical problems. Kensley got hurt it was like my own child, We a still praying for her and the family. I went through something like that a few years ago there is no way to decribe the feeling whe your babie are hurt.. God Bless Everyone

Janet said...

I am so proud for you Steph...you are definitely your mother's daughter! You will be an EXCELLENT Alfa agent. Isn't the Lord awesome?

Nicole said...

I always knew Alfa was never out of the picture. LOL
Congrats!

Ashley Olinger said...

Wow, that is great. I do remember you working there years ago. That is quite a change from education. I wish you the best in all you do. God Bless.

The HoneaBees said...

Awesome! My brother works for the federation side of Alfa. Email me when you are going to be there and I will tell him to find you.

Amy said...

Good for you for following your heart and doing what you feel is best for your family. I did the very same thing when I left Channel 19 and went to work at the hospital and I have never regretted it for a single second! Life goes by too fast :)

Good luck!

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Good luck!!

April Clark said...

WOW!!! I am super surprised, but I know the Lord is leading you. I wish you all the best in your new position!

Manda said...

Good Luck and God Bless! ( But we WILL miss you!!!)