Monday, November 22, 2010

The Turkey

The Turkey went to school........yes, the REAL turkey (OH - and Dad!!)

Last week Abby's class was studying turkeys as I'm sure ALL classrooms were. Mrs. K, Abby's teacher, brought in a mount of a turkey tail, beard and feet that her husband had killed. All the kids, of course, wanted to know where the rest of the body was!! This was while the girls were staying with Mom and Dad while were in Colorado. Well, Abby decides that Papaw needs to go to school and show off a REAL turkey!

Dad is a hunter! Over my lifetime it has ranged from deer, elk, duck, pheasant, and now turkey. Last year he completed the grand slam of turkey hunting which I understand is a BIG deal!!

Well, with the teacher's permission, Papaw and the turkey came to school! It was a HOOT! The kids were over the top! A couple of the boys were looking at Dad like he was the biggest rock star they'd ever seen!! Dad was the teacher for about 15 minutes, and even gave the kids homework! He did great - not surprising though. He's AWESOME in front of crowds, and kids are no exception. Abby was his little helper passing out extra feet and beards to touch and helping with the turkey call!

So is a day in the life of Abby, Papaw and the star turkey :-)




Side note - I am TERRIFIED of birds!! I remember after Dad had the first of these monstrosities mounted, I had to cover it up with a sheet because it freaked me out so bad! Needless to say, this was a feat for me to just be in the same room, much less take pictures and help carry it......ahhhh...what we do for our kiddos :-)

3 comments:

Sherrill said...

I just KNEW that someday the "investments" in hunting had to pay off. . .surely. . .somehow. . .

*sigh*

This is it. :-)

NOTHING like making a grandbaby happy! (Sorry about the bird thing, Mommy - making grandbabies happy trumps Mommy's irrational fears - LOL)

Nicole said...

LOL...I still think of you when I see birds or they get near me!!!

Mommy Grits said...

I heard about that turkey all last week! Glad to see pictures. It was a BIG HIT!!! Definitely one for the class scrapbook!