Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Colorado Springs

Stewart and I had a great opportunity to travel to Colorado Springs this weekend (in fact, I am typing from here now :)) He had a student accepted to the ultra prestigious Air Force Academy which is stationed here, and Stewart was invited to tour the campus on a recruiting event. We came up a couple of days early to do some sightseeing.

I've never been to the Rockies, so this was a whole new thing for me! It is absolutely breathtaking! Let me say that the area is not only beautiful, but the people are super nice too! Maybe because there are people from many different areas because it's a military town, but I didn't experience any of the "Southern disdain" that I've seen in other places we've visited. I even got sweet tea (at McDonald's and Chick :))

I had a little bit of altitude sickness when we first got here, but thankfully it passed quickly! We visited the Garden of the Gods, and many other historic sites. We wanted to visit Pikes Peak, but the altitude is so high, they recommend not going until you've been here a few days and are accustomed to the lack of oxygen.

Speaking of lack of oxygen - WOW! I could tell as soon as we landed in Colorado Springs. Denver is about 5200 feet about sea level and Colorado Springs is another 1200 feet up. We were actually winded just talking and walking at the same time!! Pikes Peak is more than double that altitude, so I can't even imagine what that is like!

Here are some pictures. The first ones are of the mountains. The second set is of the beautiful chapel at the Air Force Academy.










The girls have been with Mimi and Papaw all week, so I'm sure they are rotten!! It's been a great get-a-way, but I'm ready to see some babies tomorrow!

No comments: