Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Memories

This weekend we spent some time with my Mom's side of the family. Tomorrow will be one year since we lost my precious Granddady, or as Abby called him "Grandy". He was the rock and cornerstone of our family. I like to think we are who we are largely because of his wisdom of things above and faith in God. We all met out at the cemetery and then went back to my Nana's to have lunch. Here is a picture of Grandy about 2 weeks before he died while he was in the hospital. One of his nurses thought he needed a little "spiffing up" that day :) We miss him terribly, but oh what a grand time he is having over there! Be-a-U-tiful!After lunch, the guys went through some of Grandaddy's things in his shed. Abby came out with the hardhat that he wore for years on his job and his boots that he tended his garden with. How precious for her to have these things to remember her Grandy by! Here's a shot of her with her treasures and one of my favorite pictures of Abby and Grandy when she was a baby. Doesn't she look like him?? Everyone used to think so :)
Ellie Kate was just hanging out during all the fun :) (Tongue out - her new favorite position!)



Going to the cemetery was hard. It is the same place Olivia is buried. It's also where my brother and sister are buried. We had never really explained this to Abby, but this time she asked who the two other small stones by Olivia were. Stewart explained that they were Mommy's brother and sister who were in Heaven with Olivia. Abby thought a minute, and then, it was almost like a comfort to her. I was like she was! She went around telling the family that was my brother and sister just like hers in Heaven. It was sad, but touching at the same time. It's amazing what that little, young mind has had to process in her short years. God has comforted her and shielded her in a way I never could.

That night, we debuted the Harvest dresses for the year. Yes, I'm one of those holiday themed, OCD, match my children mothers :) I did get them half price at the end of the season last year though, so it's all good :)


And here is our newest Daisy Scout on her first outing to the police station!!


We found out today that Abby is going to have surgery Monday morning. They are going to put tubes back in her ears, take out her adenoids, and "clean out" both sinus cavities! Not fun, but we are hoping this will help her with some health issues she has fought for several years. We were planning to go to the Smokies for Fall Break, so we are going to go for a few days this weekend to distract her from the upcoming events. Please say a prayer for us in the coming days! I hate it when the babies are sick! Ellie Kate is feeling better - let's hope it stays that way!

7 comments:

Drea said...

Great post! We all loved your Grandaddy and we still miss him at singings. Good luck to Miss Abby Monday- sounds rough- but we know who can make all of that better ;)

Marty said...

It just won't be the same after the surgery....I won't have to wipe her nose everytime she comes to sit with me.....how sad! lol! She will do great and feel sooo much better!!

Shannon Byrd said...

I sure loved Bro. Charles! I saw a man at Wal-Mart the other day who made me think of him so much! I should have went over and asked him if he could holler "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Nicole said...

I miss your grandaddy VERY much! Hope things go great for Abby.

Amy said...

Isn't it amazing how God allows our little ones to process things as heavy as death? What a sweet post. And from another OCD-matchy mom, the girls look adorable!! :)

The ETK Blog said...

What a man!!!! Someday I will tell you about a time I was face first in the dirt and he helped pick me up out of it.

Jana Moore said...

Hi Stephanie, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I like the picture of Abby and your grandaddy! He was a precious person. I sure hope Abby does better after her surgery. Your kids are so cute!