Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day and a Whirlwind Weekend!

Oh me - I'm TIRED!!! Running to get ready to be gone for a week, being gone for a week, coming home to all those lovely "mommy chores" left undone for said week, and then flying into a lovely, but packed, Spring weekend have taken a toll on my energy levels!!! No worries - the upteenth load of clothes are in the washer, I've uploaded pictures (which you'll see in a bit), and the rest will have to just wait on me to get there!!

Saturday was filled with Gymfest (a "recital" of sorts for gymnastics students), a Daisy Scout "give back" project (the girls met to pick out items to donate to the babies in the NICU - a cause close to my heart), a birthday party and PROM. Yes - you read correctly - PROM. I hadn't really thought about the fact that now that Stewart is the principal at a high school this would be a mandatory event. I am WAY too old to go to prom, but felt WAY too young to be the principal's date either - HA! I mean come on - what does a very conservative, over weight 30-something wear to the prom?? Well anyway.......we had fun! We went and ate at Ruth's Chris before (yummy!) and then "supervised" the events until well into the night/morning. At one point the choice of "music" (I put it in quotes b/c I wouldn't call it music - maybe NOISE!) made both of us feel like we might have to be admitted to the cardiac unit for heart palpitations!



Sunday was a busy day filled with family! The girls had spent the night with Mom b/c of prom, so Sunday morning was just me and Stewart. He gave me the sweetest bracelet that has all 3 girls' birthstones and an engraved toggle that says, "For this child I have prayed". This is a special verse for me - it's on the wall in EK's nursery. Sure everyone prays for their children, but there's something more fervent, perhaps even desperate about the prayers from a mother who knows the reality of loss. No longer are those prayers just lines that are spoken partly out of habit, but expressions of the desires of our heart.


We took Stewart's mom and grandmother to breakfast and then went on to Scottsboro to church with my Mom. The afternoon was filled with LOTS of extended family, playing with cousins, and "straw-be-derries" in EK language!

This year I think I was too busy to stop and think about what could have been. Ever since my little break down a few weeks ago, the Lord has provided me with a simple peace. Not ever forgetting, but content with the present and thankful for each day! Simple, patient, loving, ever present - God.

I am a mother of three beautiful little girls whom God gave me to love both here and above. I am the daughter of a strong, faithful, woman who walked roads before me that have made my journey easier. She is the mother of 3 - me and two more angels who are certainly taking care of their beautiful niece, Olivia in that Heavenly place. The line of grace continues to weave through our family, but it all points to one source. We are all mothers who have been graced with mercy and wisdom from the most high. What a blessing beyond words. May we all remember the source of our love and strength and honor these women who carry the love and grace of God to share with their children and the children of others.


FYI - Stewart says he's going to post one day and surprise me. We'll see if he keeps up his end of the deal!

3 comments:

candih said...

Oh I SOOO can't wait to show Morgan the "Prom" picture!! LOL!

Amy said...

Stephanie,
How well said about the prayers of a mother who has lost her child. I can so relate that.

I too love that verse. It was on AC's diaper bag and it's inscribed in LB's book that our photographer made after she turned one. After losing Melissa, we prayed so hard for LB while we were pregnant. And God certainly heard those prayers.

You do a wonderful job of expressing the thoughts of those of us who have lost children. You are an inspiration! I'm glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Cassie said...

Prom at "30-something" .... I can only imagine :) Better you than me! Can't wait to hear yall friday night! If I'm sick you can take my place, right? :)