Friday, May 14, 2010

If it CAN happen.....

It WILL happen to me - medically that is! What a week! I've been having some minor discomfort from a tooth for a couple of weeks. I went to the dentist Monday only to find out that it was a tooth I had already had tons of trouble with a year ago and had already had a root canal on (read here). Infection was setting in and the "fix" options did not sound fun, but I was supposed to take my antibiotics, a little meds if necessary and see the oral surgeon next week.

Well, a couple of new pain meds and new antibiotics later, it was WAY worse! The pain was unbearable even with BIG pain pills and one side of my face and neck were so swollen it looked like I had the mumps! The dentist said head to the ER! What???? ER - for a tooth?? Yep - they said with the infection growing so fast I needed IV antibiotics and pain meds to stop the cycle.

Well 3 hours later we were back home, and I was feeling the effects of the drugs. I think I told Stewart I was on Pluto once!! HA - no seriously, Huntsville Hospital ER has done some major revamping. We were called back quickly and taken care of and out the door before we would have even been called back before!

So, I am trying to find the right combination of pain meds that keep the pain somewhat at bay but at a level that I can still be conscious and participate in life! The swelling is going down slowly, and I meet with the surgeon Monday. I have 3 words for him - "GET IT OUT!!"

We have a singing tonight and Abby's violin recital is tomorrow - crossing my fingers I can manage them all!!

FYI - need a great dentist in the Hampton Cove area?? Go see Dr. Greg Lansdell! He is so attentive and sweet and the girls in there can't be beat!!! They have taken GREAT care of me, and Jenn was even calling Stewart last night while we were in the ER to check on me. Oh, and pick on Lisa when you get there - she'll love it!! (That one's for you Lisa - you made the blog!!!) I"ll get a picture with everyone once this is all over and post all of our smiling, pain-free faces!!!

Hoping for a great weekend with mashed potatoes and pain pills!!

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

One more time. . .I am SOOO sorry I gave you my less than dependable genes. You have no idea how sorry I really am. Thank goodness you got all that other good stuff from your Dad!!! LOL