Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Big Girl!

Abby's first day in 3 year class.

Abby's last day in the three year class.

Abby's first day of 4 year old class.




Abby's last day of preschool!

Abby's last day of preschool was a few weeks ago. She handled it MUCH better than I did!! She has been at this preschool full-time (5 days, ALL day) since she turned 3 years old. For those of you moms who work, you know what a heart wrenching decision this can be! I have struggled with these decisions probably more than I have most in our girls' lives. You just want to know that your children and happy and safe when you can't be with them!

I can not begin to tell you what a blessing our school has been to our family! I first signed her up for only a few days a week. When Stewat's father found out he had cancer, my mother-in-law needed to turn her attention to him and couldn't help us on the other days. I panicked - we had only been at our "new" school for a few weeks, and I didn't know many people there. When I called to explain the circumstances, they immediately found a place for her and made it work for us! Just 3 short months later, we lost Olivia. As much as we grieved, I was paralyzed with fear of what this would do to Abby. How could a 3 year old comprehend and manage the grief that we couldn't manage? What would she say? I remember looking up at the graveside after Olivia's service and seeing someone in the distance - Abby's teacher!! Mind you, the family cemetery where she is buried is over an hour from where the school is, but there stood Abby's teacher! Mothers - you can imagine the comfort this brought me. We had a conversation a few days later about how we were handling her comments, and she encouraged me to bring Abby back to school soon to get her back in the routine. The comfort in my heart was immeasurable. I knew that with prayers and the watchful eye of those that loved her, our Abby would be fine.

This year, that loving instruction continued with her 4 year old teacher. This time, she was faced with a child who would say, "Mommy has another baby in her tummy. Can we pray that God will let this one stay with us?" You know what she did - she prayed with Abby that God would watch over us all. When Ellie Kate's safe arrival finally came, her classmates had an "Abby has a baby sister" party and Abby marched around the school with her big sister shirt on.

You know what's amazing - they love them all that way!! Our family has such a special place in our hearts for this school. I know the Lord sent them our way just when He knew we would need them. Even in the confusion, despair and uncertainty of the last 2 years, I also had a peace that Abby was learning and growing in an environment where she was loved and protected.

So here we are - I have an upcoming Kindergartner on my hands. I can't hardly believe it!! If any of you are in need of a preschool, please email me and let me tell you which school we love!

No comments: