Friday, December 5, 2008

Welcome Ellie Kate!

We are so blessed to announce that Ellett Katherine Thorson made her debut into the world yesterday, December 4th, at 9:13 AM. Ellie Kate weighed in at a whopping 8 pounds and 14 ounces and was 20 inches long. She was so cooperative she let out a big cry before they even finished delivering her. I can not begin to describe what that cry felt like to me. It was the release of emotions I have been too scared to dare to even hope for over the past nine months.

She looked great right after delivery and Stewart took her up to the well baby nursery to help the nurses clean her up while they finished the surgery on me. While up there, Ellie Kate started "grunting" and having trouble breathing. They decided to take her to the NICU for assessment and assistance. Poor Stewart - his protective Daddy instincts got a real test. He was so worried for her and was facing it by himself. Thursday was a rough day. Compared to others in the NICU, she looked so pink and healthy, but she was having obvious problems. I only got to see her for 2-3 minutes, and wasn't allowed to hold her. At that point, fear tried to take my morning of happiness away. The only thing I knew to do was pray and ask others to as well. I sent out a brief email to friends and family and within just a few hours, the Lord graciously relieved my fears and eased her breathing. By the next visitation time, she was much more relaxed and resting comfortably.

She has been upgraded to the progressive side of the NICU. The nurses (which by the way are AWESOME) have assured me that her levels couldn't be any more normal!! We are hoping for a Monday homecoming. Again, the Lord answered that call before we asked. It first appeared that we would be discharged on Sunday and she would have to stay behind for at least another day or two. After last year, I just wasn't sure if I could handle leaving the hospital again empty handed. It now appears that everything should work out for us to leave as a family!

Here are a few pictures from the last couple of days. She looks so differently from Abby's newborn pictures. Stewart and I have both agreed that she has many of Olivia's features, which is such a sweet remembrance for us both. She in no way will ever take her place, but our family finally feels complete.




Check out the picture of Abby in her big sister shirt - she is SO excited! I understand she made a big show at preschool today showing everyone the pictures of her new sister. I am so proud that she will have the opportunity to be a big sister - she is going to be a great one!!
It's still not quite real to me yet, but gradually I am allowing myself to enjoy the moment. This morning at 4 AM when I finally got to hold my baby, I felt like a little ray of sunshine was shining on our family. I guess it is true - the rainbow can only come after the rain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ellie Kate,
It is so nice to know that you are here. We look forward to meeting you very soon. Please tell your big sister and your mommy and daddy that we are so happy for you all to be coming home together soon.
Much love,
Amy, John, and Beth